Photographing the natural beauty Southern California offers is such a joy. But besides its beaches, mountains, and deserts, it's also home to an amazing array of wildlife and plants. I'm very blessed to have peacocks/peafowl visiting my yard every day!

Some photographs are available on products in our CafePress and Zazzle shops. We've recently added jigsaw puzzles, which make great gifts.

Search this blog

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Hummingbirds in my backyard

Hummingbird on its way to the nectar feeder, nature photography merchanbdise at CaliforniaDreamsPhotography.com


It's fun, and noisy, having peacocks roaming freely in my yard--see my posts on baby peacocks and peacocks during mating season in my yard for lots of pics and info on that! At the opposite end of the size spectrum, though, I'm also blessed with hummingbirds.

They're attracted to numerous plants in the yard, including Bird of Paradise flowers, orange/lemon/tangerine blossoms, mulberry trees, Buddleia plants, many varieties of flowers, and the nectar feeder. I like to sit on the patio with my camera at the ready and snap photo after photo when a hummingbird comes to the feeder. I currently have the nectar feeder positioned so that the shots I get from my usual seat at the patio table have a nice background of bougainvillea blossoms.

Here are a few recent pics, taken with a Nikon D5100 DSLR camera; each photograph is followed by a closeup crop from it:
















I never get tired of seeing these cute, tiny birds who dart back and forth so quickly...if you blink you can miss them. So it's HARD getting good shots of them!

;;

No comments:

Post a Comment